Barring those times when concealment is imperative, most survivalists agree that LIGHT is our friend, while DARKNESS is not only a nuisance but can be dangerous as well. Some would even give a flashlight higher priority than a good knife where survival is concerned. (personally, I'll take the knife first)
People just function better when things can be clearly seen and evaluated with proper illumination. And a good flashlight is usually the preferred source of light for preppers, campers and pretty much everyone else, especially with the arrival of LED (Light Emitting Diode) technology and rechargeable batteries.
Of course, fire or a flaming torch will always work in a pinch… like when those batteries we talked about get lost, ruined or just give up the ghost. It's times like these that remind us it's always good to have a backup plan!
So today I'm going to review and introduce you to Luci – one of the coolest lighting inventions (at least in my opinion) of all time. Though it does take advantage of LED tech, it's a far cry from a flashlight and even stands out as unique among the standard camp lanterns we all knew growing up.
What is a Luci?
The Luci Solar Air Lantern first gained widespread recognition when it was awarded “Survival Product of the Year” for 2015 and received honorable mention at the 2015 CES Innovation Awards… and it's still a bestseller today!
It's called an “air” lantern for good reason… The LEDs actually illuminate the air inside of the lantern when inflated, bathing the entire room with 50 lumens of white light… bright enough to cover 150 square feet for up to 12 hours.
Here are just a few of many great benefits:
- 100% Solar Powered – No need for batteries
- Weighs only 4 ounces – perfect for bugging out
- Collapses to only 1″ tall when deflated
- Waterproof – it even floats!
- Maintenance free & virtually indestructable
- Fully-Charged in about 8 hours
- Retains charge up to 3 years in storage
How can it be used?
Of course, the ways this amazing lantern can be used is limited only by your imagination, but I came across this really well thought out list of clever and creative uses for the Luci:
- Use the Luci as a night light for a child’s room. With its 3 brightness settings, you can set it on Low — just enough light to provide comfort. With the Luci around kids, you won’t worry about a plug-in night light with a hot bulb and electric outlet, easily within reach of a young child. And, the Luci isn’t a fire hazard. If you have grandkids, this would be a great way to have the Luci for emergencies AND as a night light when they spend the night.
- Place a few Lucis along a back patio railing for nighttime BBQs and then one in the middle of each table. Safer than tiki type torches — no fire hazard, and you’ll use them again and again.
- These are great gifts for kids and teens. If you are going to read under the covers at night, this is better than a flashlight with no expensive batteries. If you fall asleep while the Luci is on, there are no dead batteries to replace.
- On road trips you can charge the Luci on the dashboard while driving during the day, and then have a soft light source for the kids while driving at night. This is perfect! Kids can read, play games, etc. without the car’s overhead light on, distracting the driver.
- Great for hotel rooms, where we all can wake up a bit disoriented. Place the Luci on the bathroom vanity, on its Low setting.
- Every camping family needs at least 2 or 3 Lucis. They are perfect for tent lighting, provide a light source at night while the family is playing cards or just visiting, and in between camping trips, you can easily store the deflated lantern with your camping/outdoor gear.
- Feeling creative? Hang a few Lucis with big ribbons from trees, gazebos, patio umbrellas for charming nighttime entertainment.
- The Luci can be used to create beautiful, luminous centerpieces for outdoor or dimly lit indoor weddings and parties.
- Attach a Luci to a bicycle for nighttime rides. It can light up the path ahead of you and is large enough to make the bicycle and rider visible to others.
- On Halloween, it makes a great trick or treating light!
- Wherever you would place a tiny tealight (real or battery), use the Luci light instead for a safer and long-lasting glow.
- Because few people are familiar with the Luci Solar Lantern, they make great gifts for all sorts of occasions: thank you gifts (being the shining light of the PTA, you are the brightest teacher, etc.), stocking stuffers, a Festival of Lights gift, or a thoughtful “I really want you to be prepared for emergencies” gift.
- Have an elderly loved one who could use some soft lighting during the night? The Luci lantern never gets hot and with its 3 settings provides just the right amount of light when needed.
Thanks so much to our friends at thesurvivalmom.com for finding so many additional uses for this great product.
As you can see, planning a weekend camp trip or bugging out to the back country are not the only reasons to make good use of this incredible innovation. How many different uses can you come up with around the home?
What's my overall assessment?
It's not very often that I put out a review that is 100% positive, but when it comes to the Luci Solar Air Lantern I really can't find anything to complain about. Really… not even a little.
- Portability – Excellent – At 4 oz. you can carry a bunch of them.
- Durability – Excellent – You will have to work to tear it up.
- Effectiveness – Excellent – Provides ample, long-lasting light.
- Innovation – Excellent – The design is genius and original.
- Maintenance – Excellent – There isn't any… at all.
- Price – Excellent – Reasonable for 1 and discounts for buying more.
Highly Recommended – Buy this one, folks… you won't be sorry!
Right now you can get a special bonus on the discounted Luci Solar Air Lantern…
Thanks for checking out my review. I do make a little commission if you buy through my links, but I promise I won't recommend spending your money on any product I don't think is a good value, so please share it with someone who might be looking for a product like this and would benefit from the review.
Please let us know of any creative uses we may have missed or other thoughts in the comments.
Until next time…
Take care and God bless
Please click the buttons below and share this post with fellow prepping & survival lovers.